Friday, October 23, 2009

The Fruits of the Spirit: Peace

"You will guard him and keep him in perfect and constant peace whose mind [both its inclination and its character] is stayed on You, because he commits himself to You, leans on You, and hopes confidently in You." Isaiah 26: 3

I love this verse. It is such a refreshing feeling to know that God is guarding us. There is no better protection on Earth! But not only is he guarding us, he is keeping us in perfect peace. The kicker comes in on the part that says "whose mind is stayed on you." A lot of times we pray for peace, but our hearts and minds are all scrambled up! We must fully commit ourselves to the Lord and lean on him to be in that perfect peace.

I am real big on everyone being quiet (considering I have four kids that almost never happens), but on those rare occasions when my kids are all quiet in the car and I'm not having to referee, answer fifty million questions, or listen to Sharktales on the DVD player for the 27th time in two days, it is one of my top ten best feelings in the world! To have peace is such an awesome and rewarding experience! Although I sit and write these blogs at 1:00 a.m. (when I should be in the bed), the peace of sitting here letting the Lord just have his way with me without a single soul stirring in my house just puts my mind and heart at ease.

Keeping our mind stayed on God is challenging considering we have to work, take care of the house, and children. When you are always moving and there are a hundred things going on around you, peace is hard to come by! Regardless of what it is, we have to make it happen. We have to find that moment to say a prayer, tell God Thank you, or even ask for strength. My kids seem to think they must go everywhere with me, even to the little girl's room. But at times I have to tell my husband to keep them away from the bathroom door for five minutes, all I need is five minutes. During that five minutes, I collect myself and get focused! It's in the small things that I go and find my peace. God sees our faithfulness and will reward us for it, but we must make that conscious effort to spend that time with him to find peace in our lives.


God desires for us to seek peace, live in peace, and be peacemakers. Let's break that down, shall we.

Seeking peace: Psalm 34:14 says, "Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it." In order to seek peace, we must turn away from the things that are not in line with God's word and do those things which are. We must operate with a good, clean heart in order to even go after peace. So if you are not right, don't even try to gain peace. Get the junk out of your life and then go after peace. You are fighting a losing battle if you don't.

Living in Peace: Romans 12:18 says, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." We have to look at ourselves and no one else and live in peace with everyone. We cannot depend on others for our peace, we must get it for ourselves! In other words, don't wait on someone else to do what you think that should do and then get peace about it. Get peace regardless of what is going on around you and let it be apart of you and you allow it to flood over into someone's life.

Being Peacemakers: James 3:18 says, "Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness." We have to create peace in situations. I hate for people to fight or be mad at one another, so I am usually the one who tries and patch things up! God wants us to fix things! Of course we have to use wisdom in doing them, but he wants us to help others find peace. Psalm 29:11 says, "The Lord blesses people with peace." People with peace are an asset. They are making things right, because through peace we avoid a lot of confusion.

Peace keeps us focused on the things of God. When everything is in disarray, we cannot function effectively in God. Whatever it takes for you to find that peace, make sure you get it done. Don't go without it! Peace keeps us in tune with the Holy Spirit. We have to be at peace with our fellow man, we have to have peace on our jobs, peace is a must at home. Where there is disorder (which is the opposite of peace) the devil has a lot of room to work. He wants us to stay all out order and confused.

I will leave you with this, "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace." Colossians 3:15

May God continue to bless each of you!

Peace,

Tarrah

No comments:

Post a Comment