Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Great Balancing Act

"Let me be weighed in an even balance, that God may know mine integrity." Job 31:6

I like to call my Tuesday's Organized Chaos Day. There is piano, tumbling, Girl Scouts, karate, and starting next week, my husband's basketball games. Unfortunately these last couple of weeks I have come to the conclusion that not only are Tuesday's Organized Chaos Day, but every day is Organized Chaos Day. There is basketball for my son and husband, gymnastics, boy scouts, tutoring, and a few other things I have managed to get myself into. One of my dear friends looked at my planner the other day in disbelief! Every block was filled with several things. She told me that I HAD to get rid of some things! I was like NOOOO!!!!! We have to have ALL of these things. As I explained, she looked at me as if I was growing another head. I quickly realized that she was right. So I went to my 8 year old and said, "We really need to consider getting rid of boy scouts because..." and before I could finish, his little precious self said, I was thinking the same thing, Mama. We have way too much going on and there is no way I can practice for basketball and my season is about to start and do boy scouts too." Out of the mouths of babes! I'm sitting there thinking, "Man! I ain't even smarter than a 3rd grader!" He recognized to be committed to this one thing, he had to get rid of some other things even though he wanted to do both. He chose the most important and was through with that!



We as women have to learn how to say No! I think it is so hard for us because by nature, we feel that it is our duty to meet every need of our husbands, children, friends, bosses, etc. with a smile on our face, looking like we just stepped out of a magazine! But in order to stay sane we must have a balance! I tend to put so much into my family that I will neglect myself and feel guilty when I do take time for myself because I am constantly thinking about what else I could have been doing, which in turn causes me to have my bi-monthly mini mental meltdowns! Since I was a little girl, I wanted to be a wife and mom. It is so rewarding, but will by far be one of the most challenging jobs you will ever have. We have to learn how not to get so consumed in our families, that we lose ourselves and what God wants us to be about.

God gives us clear instructions as what our responsibilities are as wives and mothers through his word. Psalm 90:12 says, " So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." We must use wisdom in our daily lives. As my boss says, "We have to work smarter, not harder." We do what we can with diligence, and leave the rest for later. We must prioritize. I also love Proverbs 20:7, "Through wisdom is a house builded; and by understanding it is established." Wisdom to me is knowing what to do and what not to do. When to do and when not to do. We have to make a conscious effort as wives and mothers to focus on the things that matter and put away those things that don't. We are great multi-taskers, but let's not overwhelm ourselves with too much. We still have to keep a peaceful and serene environment to raise our children and nurture our families and taking care of ourselves spiritually, mentally, and physically. If we don't have a balance, neither will our children.

It has taken me a minute to finish this particular blog because I have so much I want to say and need to make sure I focus on the important things. You will be pleased to know that I practiced wisdom and had a long talk with my oldest and we slashed Girl Scouts (she is still a member and can participate when we like), karate has been cut from one hour to thirty minutes (my 3 year old's attention span is verrrrryyyyy short). Although I was reluctant in doing it, I realized that in order to live a balanced life that I had to weed some things out. When we don't we become stressed and unfocused which causes us to live outside of the will of the Lord. This past Tuesday was very laid back. I was not rushed, I was not stressed and we made it everywhere on time with all of our needed things. God is good and he teaches us well if we are willing vessels!

I will leave you something to think about, "If you...know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!"
-Matthew 7:11

Be blessed!

Tarrah

No comments:

Post a Comment