Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Commitment in Marriage

"Love, by itself, is not enough to sustain even the most loving couple -- at least the kind of love Hollywood pumps into our culture is not enough. Marriage requires new skills in communication, conflict resolution and so on. Love cannot protect a marriage from harm. But love combined with effective skills can overcome all”
~Author Unknown

As I grow wiser, I am learning that the very thing that I thought would sustain my marriage will not. Love is a good thing, but can't work alone. In marriage, you must be committed to seeing it through no matter what. It is very easy to give up and say, "I quit." The marriage grows and blooms when you go through adversity, when you face realities, when you weather the storm. I have shared with friends, as well as myself, that have reached difficult points in their marriage that you said for better or worse, but it was never defined as to how worse it would get.

My husband and I have been married for 11 years and I am constantly learning, constantly growing. I'm not where I need to be, but thank GOD I'm not where I used to be! There are challenges, we go through things like the next person, but each time I look at every situation as a stepping stone to reaching that place of marital bliss. I am hopeful because I know he is a God sent. Sometimes I just need little reminders:). Just like God is always here for us through whatever mess we conjour up, we should be that way with our spouses. Loving unconditonally and being committed until the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment