Sunday, May 1, 2011

Do This in Remembrance of Me




1 Corinthians 11:23-26 23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the [same] night in which he was betrayed took bread: :24And when he had given thanks, he brake [it], and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25After the same manner also [he took] the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink [it], in remembrance of me. 26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Every first Sunday is communion at the church I attend. I love communion Sunday's. As a child, I had no earthly idea why in the world we were eating these tiny portions at church, but I just loved grape juice so I was excited. As a college student, I had a better understanding of communion. Because I was a college student discovering new things, I felt communion as a time of renewing myself. I have taken communion in several different churches; United Methodist, COGIC, Baptist, Episcopalian, Catholic, and even Non-Denominational. They all had a different way of doing things (which is something I don't quite understand about us Christians). The Catholic and Epsicopalians would all drink out of one cup. This was quite a challenging concept to grasp considering it was so many different people in the church and you want me to put my mouth on that cup?! The Episcopalians did give me a choice of dipping my bread into the cup as oppose to drinking.

Not until recent years have I come to the true meaning and understanding of communion. It is not merely the drinking of grape juice out of a plastic cup with an alleged cracker stuck to the top of the cup, but the significance of Christ body and blood being shed for us. In 1 Corinthians, he is asking us to do this in remembrance of me. My pastor said it best today, "God is asking that if we eat of his body and drink of his blood, then we will have eternal life. We have to approach God's table in righteousness. We cannot approach his table in an unnecessary manner. We cannot go to the table with our minds on something else, a bad attitude. When we come to God's table, we must give him all of our attention, we have to be focused on him. We have to remember God's sufferings and he will be with us always."

In all that we do, in all that we say, in all that we think, let's remember all that God has sacrificed for us.

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment