Friday, May 6, 2011

We All Need a Break Sometimes

As I tucked my youngest son in the other night, he said, "Mama, don't send me to school tomorrow. I've had enough of school." My children never cease to amaze me with the things that come out of their mouths. There is a scripture that talks about out of the mouths of babes. Even though we have things to do and challenges that need to be met, we ALL need a break sometimes.

Women in particular carry a heavy load of working, running a household, and raising children. We tend to take care of ourselves last. I was sitting at work on yesterday feeling under the weather and it just came to me that if it was my husband or children saying that they did not feel well, I wouldn't hesitate to drop everything to be by their side. So I should take that same initiative when it comes to my own self. If mama is sick, all of the wheels will fall off of the wagon.

1 Corinthians 6:19 says, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own..." We have to make sure that we take care of ourselves. We belong to God and if we aren't fully functional, he cannot do a complete work in us. We can't be unhealthy and stressed out all of the time. Stress also has been linked to certain cancers and other diseases. We have to be fully energized, focused, and healthy to do the work of God. For me, that is being a wife, a mother, a teacher, a student, a daughter, a sister, a friend and so on. These are my ministries. These are my callings. So to be fully effective, I have to take a little time out for self every now and again.

Meditate on Isaiah 40:31 "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary, and they shall walk and not faint."

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment