Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Fruits of the Spirit: Kindness

Proverbs 3:3-4 “Do not let kindness and truth leave you; bind them around your-neck, write them on the tablet of your-heart. So you will find favor and good repute in the sight of God and man.”


We as women, especially black women, have a tendency to get somebody "told" real quick. I am guilty of it myself. What I have learned is, this isn't always effective, if ever. We must practice being kind, and as the scripture says, it should not leave us. I know from experience, and Jeremiah 31:3 says it best, The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee. I was in a retail store once and the salesperson was just the rudest you could ever imagine. My first instinct was to get an attitude back and find her manager! But I remained calm, kept a smile on my face and spoke very politely through the whole transaction. By the time I was leaving out of the store, she was a completely different person from when I first walked in. I drew her and I was excited about it! That is the kind of stuff God wants us to exhibit in our walk. It's real easy to act a fool, but how wonderful it is to win someone over with kindness!


My husband often tells me, you can be real nice in the streets, but when you come home it's Brunhilda the Witch! The sad part about it is that it's true! We have a tendency to take our frustrations out on those closest to us. Not only do we have to practice kindness in the public, but in private as well. We think a lot of times if no on sees it, then I'm good. God sees it and ultimately he is the one who matters! I love the Proverbs 31 Woman! That virtuous woman in verse 26 opens her mouth with wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness. Kindness allows us to stay calm and know how to do what God expects us to do.


Kindness is defined as the quality of being warmhearted and considerate and humane and sympathetic. Kind acts can be seen through a simple smile, a kiss on a baby's hurt knee, a mild tone, or any type of thoughtful gesture. A kind act may turn someones day completely around. Let's practice being kind always!


I will leave you with this: "It is good to give thanks to the Lord, And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; To declare your lovingkindness in the morning, And Your faithfulness every night..." Psalm 92:1-2.



Have an awesome day! Be blessed.



With Love,

Tarrah



No comments:

Post a Comment