Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Servant's Spirit

So I've been visiting my 96 year old great-great aunt for the last few days in the hospital. Yes I said 96 (she just stop driving a couple of years ago). I have just been in open mouth awe of her resilient spirit! Just about every sentence is followed by a "Thank you, Lord." This woman has lived through two world wars, the Great Depression, and the Civil Rights Movement. Not to mention the death of her husband of 60 plus years and her faith is as strong as ever at 96.

It just gives me hope that there is a better day and no matter how hard life may seem, God sees you through it. You just have to put your faith and trust in God. At her age she still credits God for everything! She is so humbled and appreciative every time I walked through the door for just coming to check on her. It does my heart so good when her face lights up when I walk through the door. That's what God expects out of us. 1 Timothy and 5 tells us "take care of any widow who has no one else to care for her." My aunt never had children so her extended family is all she has. The Lord dropped that scripture in my spirit so I feel that it's apart of my christian duty to drop in and check on her. It does my heart glad as well, because I'm learning the way God expects me to act even in the face of death. She has a weak heart, but is still as strong in every other area than ever! She is positive and upbeat and still concerned about the welfare of others!

I challenge you to pay especially close attention to the elderly. You never know what God may be trying to teach you in the process and you are blessing someone else. I use to think that giving money was the only way that I could help someone, but that is so not the case. We can give our time, clean out your closet and bless someone with some clothes, or offer to babysit a friends kids to give her a break. There are so many ways that we can bless one another. We have to stop being so consumed with self that we forget about everyone else. But I have realized it all has to come from LOVE. "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity (love), it profiteth me nothing." (1 Cor 13:3) We also must remember that Jesus washed his disciples feet! He had a servants spirit.


I will leave you with this 1 Peter 5:5-7, "Likewise ye younger, submit yourselves to the elder. Yes, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resists the proud, and gives grace to the humble."

Be Blessed!
TL

No comments:

Post a Comment