Monday, May 23, 2011

Conviction

"They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them." Romans 12:15

Conviction is like a bitter sweet thing for me. It's bitter because it means that I have done something that isn't very becoming. It is sweet because it shows me that God is right there guiding me along.I had an incident the other day where I found myself deeply engaged in gossip about other individuals. Not only did I call one person, I called two!!! I mean I was just running my mouth and as soon as I got off the second call, I immediately felt convicted. I felt so awful and immediately asked for God's forgiveness, but I wasn't finished there because there was still an overwhelming feeling of guilt. I then contacted the two people that I had drug into the conversation and apologized to them. I explained that I was no better than the people that I was talking about and I had no right to spread rumors about others that I had heard. At the end of the day, we all deserve to die and go to hell (in the words of my bestie).

The next day I had a colleague come into my classroom and offer all of her teaching supplies and furniture to me. Of course I was super duper elated because if you are a teacher, you know we love "stuff". She then went on to explain that she was thinking of taking everything with her (she is leaving the teaching profession to go to law school). She said she wrestled with it because she felt a conviction, but justified keeping it because it was purchased by the school with public funds and she was going to a publicly funded university. Sounds great, right?! NO! The thing with humans is we can justify ANYTHING and make it right in our eyes.

My conviction may not be your conviction, but when we become sensitive to the things of God, then we can never go wrong. There is also a peace that accompanies doing what is right. I love it!


Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment