Friday, July 29, 2011

Never Satisfied

"Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of contentment in every situation, whether it be a full stomach or hunger, plenty, or want; for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power." Phillipians 4:11-13

It has become painfully obvious that the more and more we are blessed with, the more we want. I find myself learning from the lessons that I teach my own children. When they gripe about having to eat certain foods, I explain to them that there are starving children somewhere that would love to have this squash! Or when they wake up in the morning yelling at each other I remind them that someone did not wake up this morning.

I am guilty of having this same mentality as my children. I can be pretty vain at times. It goes a little like this: "I want another car." "I want a newer home." "I need a better day planner." "I need another ink pen (lol Nik)." These are all temporary and materialistic things. God gets no glory in this. I had to come to a resolve within myself today and say if I continue to look in the world's eye at things, then I will never be satisfied in this life. It doesn't matter about the kind of car we drive or the kind of house we live in. As long as those basic needs are met then we should be overjoyed!

Proverbs 31:30 tells us that "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. It doesn't matter about the type clothes we are wearing; it's about how we carry out God's work. There is nothing wrong with looking nice and having nice things, but that should not be our focus. Those things should not be our idols. Things should not take precedence over God.

Instead of worrying about what you are going to buy, we should be saying how can I bless someone else and how can God get the glory.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment