Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Simple Reminders

Yesterday as we were riding down the road my daughter said, "Mama, isn't there a scripture that says if you pray about something and then you don't do anything to help it out then that's not good." I said, "Yes. Faith without works is dead is what the scripture says." Although she was probably just having casual conversation, I was truly blessed by this statement. So often we forget the little things that God promises. I had just been wrestling with an issue and was immediately convicted when I had this conversation. I am so glad for the simple reminders in life that give us hope and get us back on the right course.

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2: 14-17.

Wow. This scripture passage is so powerful. You know we all can talk up a great game, but can we truly carry it out. Not only must we believe in God's promises and words, but we have to actually do something by acting on that faith. I like one of Joyce Meyer's quotes that she often uses: "Going to church doesn't make you a Christian no more than sitting in a garage makes you a car." We have to put Christianity into play. We must pray, read our bibles, and do those things that we pray and read about. This is when God will start moving and shaking in our lives. It's one thing to want to be saved, but it's another to actually live it.

I use to have a friend that would say, "I'm believing God for this car. I prayed about it and I have faith about it. I'm getting this car because God is going to give it to me." I was like, "That's great and all, BUT you don't have a job. How will you pay for it? You don't have good credit, how will you get it?" These are the types of things that come to mind when I read this scripture in James. Now if they were working and saving for that car then God would probably provide. One other one that I am so guilty of is when I say that I want to be healthy and I pray for health and strength and a stress free life, but I don't let the McDonald's french fries go or the Mountain Dew's and then I don't do not one exercise! How can I expect the Lord to make me healthy if I am engaging in an unhealthy lifestyle?!

Let's put some works with all of this faith we have. God will provide. We just have to be willing.

Peace and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment