Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sound Mind

"For God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

The mind can be a very tricky, deceptive thing. I think we all have thoughts that we would not dare share with anyone else or EVER want anyone to know about. I am learning to train myself to think positively because for a very long time, I had a negative outlook on pretty much everything, I'm not smart enough", "They don't like me", "I can't do this", "I'm not deserving" and the list goes on!

It is very easy to fix those things on the outside that would be pleasing in the eyesight of others and possibly classify you as a "Christian." But what about the matters of the mind and the heart? Jealousy, selfishness, vanity, and complaining? A lot of the hardest things to overcome are those that others don't see, those things that go on in our minds. But God sees. I have found in my walk that these things are brought on by our thinking. We are always worrying about other people and what other people have to say. We are fearful of failing, of looking bad, of finding ourselves. But God tells us he doesn't give us those things. He wants us to have a spirit of power, love and a sound mind! That means not worrying and not being fearful!

I asked my husband the other day, "How do I stop this negative, fearful thinking that I have going on?" He said, "Just replace the negative thoughts with positive ones." We must die to ourselves daily and take on the mind of Christ. That will take discipline and perserverance, but God will always provide if we become willing vessels. The devil loves to twist and turn things around in our minds. He will have us on a wild goose chase and it will all seem sooooo real at that moment. In order not to get caught right here, we must think positive thoughts and our actions must be righteous. If we just stay with him, he will make all things right for us.

One of the scriptures that I meditate on when I feel that my mind is being attacked is 2 Corinthians 10:5 "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." Also, say the following, “Satan, you are a liar. I will not receive (or believe) your lie in the Name of Jesus.”

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment